<$BlogRSDUrl$>

No Oscars for the Simpsons 

Alas, The Simpsons I normally watch on Sunday night is replaced by the movie Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. And why might they be replaced by that movie? Fear from losing big ratings to the Oscars, that's why. I'm disappointed. I wanted to really like that particular Star Wars movie when it came out, but the awful thing had none of the grace of the original Star Wars series, and thus I condemn it. It also reinforces my cynicism of those who makes these decisions about television, specifically because they think that to compete with the snore-a-thon banality of Oscars they must counter with the craptacular disaster known as Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Liam Neeson as Jedi notwithstanding.

Oh well, I suppose I'm the minority in this regard as I'm sure there are plenty of people who prefer the Oscars to The Simpsons. I'm simply not one of them. I know The Simpsons can be cloying, cliched, and sometimes tired, but does the entire television schedule have to be thrown into disarray by a three-hour self-congratulatory what-is-she-wearing parade of boredom? I'd say I hope not, but I know better. Maybe next week will be better.

29 February 2004
Comments: Post a Comment