<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday Night Stroll 


Tried another path tonight, but the duck pond had covered over the paved pathway. 
Just as I came to the water's edge, a skateboarding man came by and was similarly stopped by the water. He considered crossing it, but a single step in the mud changed his mind. Although I dislike talking to strangers, he asked me if I had ever been this way before, and I told him I had not. He wanted to know if there was anything cool on the other side. I didn't know. He left and said "good luck on your adventures." 

Minutes later, after talking an alternate route through the woods. I came across him again. He chose a path along the field, and I chose the opposite direction. This time I asked him if the trail continued forward, and he said it appeared to.

Indeed, it did. More walking through the trees led me to bigger paths covered in bark dust. The wind was letting up, and the heat was approaching eighty degrees. I found the dog park and the paved path again. 

There I ran into the same stranger for the third time. He was on his phone, but hung up to ask me what I had seen on the opposite path from him. "Anything cool?," he asked. I said no, and told him about the bark dust trails I saw. 

I spent the next forty minutes walking and didn't see him again. All in all, I walked almost three and a half miles in about an hour and twenty minutes.

Driving home, I bought an ice cream cone from a tourist shop playing John Prine on the radio. After another walk to check out the smaller tourist town, I drove to the roadside diner I was familiar with and bought a hamburger and salad. For fourteen dollars, I could have done better at the fast food place, but this last stop was comfortable. After a quick stop by the grocery store for dish soap for the parents, I was finally home and in bed for the night.

These walks are something I want to make regular, but my foot usually ends up hurting. My ankle and soles aren't being as cooperative as I want. I worry my age and bad health means the foot pain is permanent. We shall see.

13 June 2023
Comments: Post a Comment